Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, November 28, 2008

How hard is it to withdraw RM10?

A simple answer would be easy and a shorter version would be ez. All you have to do is que to the atm machine, punch some number and there you are, RM10 deducted from your savings account. For those not in favour of the ATM machine, fill up form, take your que number and walk up to the counter and there you are, a RM10 bill.

I have a Bank Bumiputra savings account since in 1996. The Bank was later transformed to Bumiputra Commerce Bank and finally to CIMB Bank. I was Given a Juwara card and then later to the ugly coloured BCB ATM card. When the bank was transformed to CIMB Bank, they say the customers could continue using their old card.

Since started working in 2001, the tiger head bank was my primary account that i used and therefore the balance i had in BCB was made as some sort of backup in case there were any emergency. Since there was no emergency and the lack on Internet Banking at BCB, i just kept the card in my wallet as a backup if i needed some extra money. Unfortunately, no such situation ever occured. As far as i know, i still had a few ringgit in there.

Came one day when i was curios about my account, i used the ATM facility machine. I tried to withdraw a RM10 but it said that the account is not active. Ok, fair enough. I tried to deposit some money via the CDM machine. Unfortunately, it said that the card is inactive and please see the bank.

Right after Friday prayers today, i went to CIMB branch at Masjid India. The teller updated my book and according to her, i must withdraw some money to get the account active again. So i filled up a form and started queing up again. By the time my turn came, the teller was looking rather curiously at my savings account book. He went to see his supervisor (i think) and he told me that he couldn't see my sample signature at the book. What the hell? It's not my problem. All i had to do was sign that damn thing and the bank staff would laminate it. How the hell should i know whether could i see it or not under the UV light. The person that did that should have some sort of QC control. So the supervisor then told me that it's better for me to go up to the CIMB at Dayabumi where i first opened my account. The other way was that i would have to wait 1 or 2 hours time to get a signature specimen from Dayabumi branch. What the hell? 1 or 2 hours time just to confirm that I am Me. I gave up hope and left.

On my way back to the office feeling unsatisfied, i then went to the CIMB Jalan Tun Perak. This time the que was a little bit longer. When it's finally my turn, the same process went on again. The staff said it's easier for me to walkup to Dayabumi. Hold on, i don't have all day to go to Dayabumi just to confirm that I am Me. Easier said then done.

I then asked them whether could they request the specimen now and i will come by next monday. She then said, tunggu "Isnin lah" ( Wait till monday then ). I questioned them why couldn't you just request for the specimen now rather then wait till monday. If i walk up on monday i will have to wait again and again just to get that stupid specimen and they themselves will have to request it anyway. It's just a phonecall and a fax away. After arguing then finally she agreed to it but they will require my biometric finger print and keep my banking book. Well fine, it's not that i could do anything with it anyway. After all the comotion i finally walked out and said thank you. I will comeby again by next monday.

What did I gain after all this.
1- Anger
2 - Tired and pain
What didn't I gain
1 - My RM10
2 - My account reactivated
3 - Confirmation of I am Me.

What do i have to do again
1 - Come by to the Bank again to get my RM10
2 - Take back my banking book + activation of account status.

What did i learn.
According to one of the banker, if i deposited money through the counter, my account status will still be inactive. Therefore to keep your account from being inactive, you have to withdraw money. Hmmm, quite weird don't you think so. It reminds me that i have not withdrawn any money from my ASB since a few years but continue to deposit money. Wonder whether my ASB itself is inactive because i did withdraw any money.

So conclusion, withdraw money to get your account activated. Depositing in money doesn't count. Banks, please have a better QC when asking for signature specimen.
ps: should have just put in RM1 to withdraw in the withdrawal form. That would really brighten up the day.

No comments: